Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine’s unpaid results—often referred to as “natural,” “organic,” or “earned” results. SEO plays a major role in the online success of a business, contributing to high rankings in the search results as well as helping with the branding of a company as well. Considering that the majority of business and advertising is done online, the results that SEO can bring you are unmatched in the modern business world. Here are some examples why investing in your SEO is a good idea.
- It still works – First and foremost, the techniques employed to improve SEO still work. There are actually SEO case studies performed and they show time and time again that as long as you are focusing on optimal user experience while performing methodic SEO strategies, you will be rewarded with higher positioning and organic traffic.
- It is cost-effective – Compared to the costs associated with other forms of online marketing such as PPC advertising, social media marketing, or purchasing leads for an email marketing program that may or may not be fruitful, SEO provides good ROI. While PPC may drive more revenue and social media may be more important for your image, your organic SEO in many ways remains a foundation of your online presence.
- It is not going to stop working any time soon – Based on the way search engines appear to be developing, it is not likely that SEO will cease to be effective any time in the foreseeable future. On some level, even audio and video searches ultimately depend on keywords the same as traditional text-based content; this link ensures the continued success of SEO techniques as long as it exists. People no longer pick up the Yellow Pages to find a business anymore. The majority of information is found by entering a key word into a search engine, this includes reading reviews about companies, finding services offered and contact information.
- Search engines grabbing more market share – Somewhere between 80-90% of customers now check online reviews prior to making a purchase, and this number is only expected to increase. Do you want your business to be easily located online?Without organic SEO in place, people will have a very hard time finding you and will instead find your competitors. This equals a loss of revenue for you and increased revenue for your competition. Business can be tough and SEO gives you an edge. This leads us directly into point 5.
- Your competitors are doing it – SEO is a never-ending process. If you’re not moving forward and improving yourposition, you’re losing important ground. That’s a simplefact of how the process works. Don’t let your competitors out maneuver you by ignoring the valuable tool that SEO is.
- Rise of mobile bandwidth and local search optimization – Later this year, the amount of traffic delivered to mobile devices is expected to exceed that delivered to traditional desktop devices. Face it, we are a society that lives on our phones! With this dramatic explosion in mobile usage, a whole new world of effective SEO techniques have opened up for companies, such as local search optimization.
- Not having a healthy content profile is damaging – With each and every update to its search algorithm, Google and other engines change the way they look at websites. Things which didn’t exist a few years ago, such as social media indicators, are now given fairly high importance in terms of their impact on your rankings. Not building a healthy content profile spread out months and years is potentially damaging to your business, as it is one of the factors Google evaluates when looking at your site.